HFS Chicago Scholars assists economically disadvantaged Chicago inner-city high school students who show academic and leadership promise achieve their educational goals by providing financial assistance and mentoring. We provide the following to our scholars:
Financial assistance to attend top Chicago private high schools
Academic Directors dedicated to each high school class and one-on-one mentors
Four-year written commitment specifying performance expectations
College visits,selection and admissions support
Our scholars respond to the opportunity by working hard to achieve success and unlock their long-term potential. Their achievements are astounding:
On average, over 80% of our scholars make the honor roll of the top schools in the city.
Our scholars are school leaders, serving as class officers, team captains and club presidents, and annually give over 1,500 hours to community service.
100% of our graduates are accepted to and attend top colleges and universities, such as Harvard, University of Illinois – Champaign, Loyola University, University of Michigan, Indiana University, Drake University, Loras College, and the University of Notre Dame.
Our high school graduates include three valedictorians of three of the city’s top schools.
1) What year will you graduate? 2016
2) Where would you like to go to college? University of California at Los Angeles 3) What do you want to major in? Pediatrics / Pre-Med 4) What Extra-curricuars do you do in high school?
Student Ambassador, Volleyball, Blazers Against Breast Cancer 5) What hobbies do you enjoy?
Reading, volleyball, babysitting, working out 6) What is your favorite HFS memory?
Meeting my mentor, Melissa Sereda. 7) Fun fact about you.
My eyes change color depending on what I’m wearing. 8) How has HFS impacted your life?
It has opened new doors for me and showed me that being a leader and showing my capabilities is a good quality.
YPB President Profile:
1) Education: Undergrad in Finance from Indiana University, MBA from Kellogg School of Management 2) Fun Fact: I really love traveling and try to take one big trip a year. My last trip was to Vietnam and Cambodia and I think Russia is next on the list! 3) Work: I work at Natoma Partners, which is a financial consulting company. I focus on providing expert witness testimony and other services to companies involved in litigation or other off-strategy situations. I feel very fortunate that I truly enjoy what I do and the people I work with. 4) How do you assist with HFS? I was a mentor to 2 scholars, who both graduated last year. I have also been on the Young Professionals Board for three years and co-chaired the 1st and 2nd annual HFS Casino Night. This year I am the co-president of the Young Professionals Board.
5) What is a favorite HFS memory? One great memory would be when I received an award at last year’s Annual Banquet for being an outstanding mentor. It meant so much to me that my two scholars, who were so busy with school activities and college applications, took the time to nominate me for an award.
1) Where are you attending college? Augustana College 2) What do you want to major in? Pre-Vetinary Medicine 3) What Extra-curricuars did you do in high school?
Varsity soccer, Spanish club 4) What hobbies do you enjoy?
Photography 5) What is your favorite HFS memory?
Going ice skating 6) Fun fact about you.
I play table tennis and foosball. 7) How has HFS impacted your life?
HFS has brought me life time friends and family and has given me the opportunity to go to my dream college.
8) What advice would you give someone just entering high school?
Start off strong, get involved, speak up, and don’t be afraid to try new things.
You received this email because either you signed up for this list or your contact information was provided by a board or YPB member who thought you might want to receive information from HFS Chicago Scholars. If you wish to stop receiving any emails from HFS, please click the unsubscribe link below.